Friday, July 16, 2010

Blog post number 2!

Going on my eighth day in South Africa, so many things have happened since my last blog post! We went to Robben Island right off the Cape where the previous South African government held Nelson Mandela, mentally ill patients and other political prisoners. We took a bus tour and walking tour with a previous inmate as our tour guide, it was hard to hear about everything that these people went through. The boat ride to and from the Island was amazing, we got to be a-top the ferry and could see for miles the view of the ocean and mountains, it was beautiful! We watched the game Netherlands vs. Brazil at the fan park, ate lunch, had some drinks and me and two other girls from the trip were interviewed by a news station and were on the national news, it was ridiculous because we had no idea what was going on. I also met some locals while watching the game and we hung out, had some drinks and learned about South Africa, it was a really fun! Watching soccer games has become one of my new favorite things to do. I also went to an Afrikaans language museum and a wine tasting vineyard where I had the best wine I had ever had in my life. One of my favorite things that I have done so far on the trip was take a tour of the Western Cape I saw so many beautiful landscapes and natural earth that a picture could never give it justice. I was so grateful to go to Fish Hoke beach where I could stand in the Atlantic Ocean, it was amazing. The best day of my life has also occurred here, when we were are Boulder Bay the penguin exhibit I was leaning over the railing like a normal tourist taking pictures and I look to my left…and who do I see? Leonardo DiCaprio, in the flesh, I was speechless at first and then couldn’t breathe, he was just being a normal tourist as well taking pictures of the penguins with body guards surrounding him and they wouldn’t let us say hi, we asked. I stood three feet from him, my favorite actor in the entire world, it was amazing! We also have been eating dinner at Newfield Church (our leader’s church) who makes the most amazing food I have ever had in my life, delicious! Classes have started as well and we only have two classes left before we are done! Next week moving into my host family’s house, going SHARK DIVING and starting teaching, I am looking forward to it all. I am having an absolute blast, not sure if I want to come home.

No comments:

Post a Comment