Thursday, July 1, 2010

IN SOUTH AFRICA!!!

I have arrived in Cape Town, South Africa! The flights were long…very long. I had never been on a flight longer than about four hours I believe and I was struggling toward the end sitting and not being able to stand or walk around very much…with that said walking off of the flight was amazing! We got in a group and went through customs then got our luggage then were picked up by Corvell (the program leader) and went to McDonalds! We arrived in Cape Town at 10pm and by the time we got our luggage and to the car it was about midnight and the only thing open around us was McDonalds, it was a nice late night treat! I am staying at a bed & breakfast with the other members in the group and my mattress is a heating pad as well but it is still chilly at night. Today (7-1-10) we had a busy day. Up at 8:30 am breakfast, debrief and off to the mall to get cell phones and convertors. After the mall we went to Dor’s a restaurant for lunch and then headed off to a place called Speirs. We get driven around in two big vans that hold about 15 people each they are yet to be named. Speirs is a place that has restaurants, bars, markets AND cheetahs! We had the opportunity to pet the adult cheaters at this conversationb area where the cheetahs stay. The place is for cheetahs that are found abandon in the wild or left by their mothers and are raised at this conversation place. All of the proceeds from the money that Speirs makes go 100% to conserving the cheetah population. We went in groups of four to pet the cheetah and take pictures, it was very surreal. I say that because this is a wild animal that is aggressive and can be fatal but it was so peaceful laying there, purring as we were petting it. After the cheetahs we shopped at the different market stands, I bought a gift for my mom! And then we went to the restaurant and bar that was also in Speirs. I sat and drank wine with two other girls from the trip and just talked for about an hour. After that I met up with the group and then we went to get dinner at the mall, the name of the mall is Tyger Valley and I got a vegan wrap! It was a busy day and we were told that this was a “slow day” so I can just imagine what the other days are going to be like! I also did a money exchange and got Rand that I will be using for the duration of the trip! Overall it was a great day...and at this moment I am writing this blog on four hours of sleep in the past 72 hours, yes it has been a long day but well worth it! We have a busy day tomorrow (7-2-2010) we are going to Robbin Island and a Fan Park to watch a futbol game should be fun! Unfortunately there is no wireless internet at the place that we are staying for the first two weeks and we all have to share one computer that does have wireless so hopefully I will be able to get on often enough to update!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment