This is the blog I will be using while in SA to blog about my experiences! I will try to update as often as possible with new and exciting information!
Friday, July 16, 2010
Blog post number 3!
This trip has been getting better and better each day. I am really letting myself enjoy the time that I am spending here and learning about the culture. Yesterday we took a hike down Table Mountain. We drove there and then took a cable car up the side of the mountain that went 1000m a second, we spent time walking around the top of the mountain taking pictures then descended for our hike down. I must say that walking down a steep mountain for three hours leaves you in a bit of pain because of the sore muscles but the dancing that we did today really helped with that soreness. We had dinner at a church and then learned different African dance moves. We learned the dance moves to the song “waka waka” by Shakira, love the song and love the dance; I will have to teach everyone when I get home. Today really felt like I was part of the South African culture, the food the dancing and the music, it was really inspiring. This past week I have really come to terms with the different racial problems that the country of South Africa has overcome, it is really hard to look at things because South Africa is only 15 years into its democracy as a country. Going to the District Six Museum today was really eye opening. District Six was a place where blacks, colored and Indian were moved out of, families separated, items and homes ransacked and possessions taken, all because they were “non-whites.” It’s very hard to look at pictures and hear stories; I really grew up with a blessed life. I am looking forward to going to Hermanas this weekend for whale watching, shark cage diving and sight- seeing, also moving into my host mom’s house on Tuesday. Also we are going to the townships (which are a very rural area of Cape Town) where the quality of living is that of or near poverty, I hope I am able to be positive about the experience but I know that it will be challenging to see that type of lifestyle knowing what I had growing up. This trip has just been amazing so far and I know that I have much more to learn and grow from.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment